Four Treats for the Fourth of July
This Fourth of July, party like it’s 1776. The sun will be high in the sky as temperatures are expected to hover near triple-digits.
Our favorite place to spend the holiday is right on the lake — take your pick from Lake LBJ, Inks Lake, Lake Marble Falls, or Lake Buchanan. The water is a welcome respite from the heat, and at night, the fireworks light up the Hill Country in every direction.
Off the lake, there’s plenty of fun to be had.
- In Marble Falls, catch the Marble Falls Fireworks Spectacular with live music, fun activities, and more. The viewing site for 2019 is First Baptist Church of Marble Falls due to construction at Lakeside Park.
- Catch AquaBoom in Kingsland. AquaBoom also features a children’s parade, a classic car show, a rubber ducky race, live music, and more.
- Johnson City is celebrating the country’s independence with FourthFest at the Blanco County Fairgrounds. There you’ll find the whole she-bang: food, music, fun, and fireworks.
- In Llano, “the sky lights up when the sun goes down” at the Rock’N Riverfest at Badu Park. There will be a barbecue cook-off, vendors, family fun, and even personal watercraft racing.
Find more fireworks displays and other festivities in the Highland Lakes in our events calendar.
Whether you celebrate the occasion on the lake or at a park, bring snacks that will fit into your cooler or picnic basket. We recommend bringing all the sandwich fixings you like and throwing in a few of these side dishes. Best part is that you can find all the ingredients at your local H-E-B!
1. Tropical fruit salsa
Simple to make and easy to transport. All you need is a bag of chips. Find the recipe and how-to here.
2. Sassy summer salad
Make a healthy alternative to sweet treats and salty snacks. This recipe is delicious and serves 10 — unless everybody goes back for seconds. Get inspired here.
3. Liberty berries
This one fits perfectly into the patriotic aesthetic. Assemble the finished product neatly in a large plastic container layered on parchment paper to keep them from melting together. Learn to make them here.
4. Cheerios and marshmallow bars
Marshmallows and Cheerios go great together in this party favorite. Keep sticky hands to themselves by packing individual baggies for each person. Read the step-by-step here. Tip: Throw some red, white and blue M&M’s in the mix for a more festive look.
Please remember to be safe out there! Fourth of July is the biggest day of the summer for boat traffic at the lake. Take it slow, keep your distance from other boaters and, most important, don’t drink and drive. Read more in our tips for a day of boating on Lake LBJ.
Find more articles like this in Fourth of July