Where to Find Highland Lakes BBQ
If you love the smoky, savory scent of pit barbecue, the Texas Hill Country should be on your culinary radar.
Texas Monthly recently listed both Cooper’s Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que and Payne’s Bar-B-Q Shak on its 2017 “The Top 50 Barbeque Joints in Texas” — for good reason. The lines are long at both these establishments, but the food is well worth the wait.
The brisket at Cooper’s has a distinct mesquite flavor; at Payne’s, it tastes of oak. The meat is juicy, tender, and fatty — just the way we like it in Texas.
Treat your nose and your tastebuds to a plate at any of the barbecue spots in the Highland Lakes. Go big and order it by the pound to feed the whole family or bring a batch to win over your colleagues at your next office party.
Here’s a list of 11 pit barbecue spots in the Highland Lakes to plug into your GPS:
- Cooper’s Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que, 604 W. Young St. in Llano, (325) 247-5713, coopersbbq.com
- Holy Smokes Bar-B-Que, 2704 Commerce St. in Marble Falls, (830) 201-4145, noteethrequired.com
- HWY 29 BBQ, 110 Texas 29 in Bertram, (512) 277-7020, facebook.com
- Inman’s Kitchen, 809 W. Young St. in Llano, (325) 247-5257, inmanskitchen.com
- Inman’s Ranch House Bar-B-Q, 707 Sixth St. in Marble Falls, (830) 693-2711
- It’s All Good BBQ, 22112 Texas 71 in Spicewood, (512) 264-1744, itsallgoodbbq.com
- Opie’s Barbecue, 9504 Texas 71 East in Spicewood, (830) 693-8660, opiesbarbecue.com
- Payne’s Bar-B-Q Shak, 616 Buchanan Drive in Burnet, (512) 756-8227
- Wingman Brothers Smokehouse, 2407 U.S. 281 in Marble Falls, (830) 693-6531, wingmanbrotherssmokehouse.com
- Ronnie’s Pit BBQ, 211 U.S. 281 South in Johnson City, (830) 868-7553
- Spyke’s Bar B Que, 14601 RR 1431 West in Kingsland, (325) 388-6996, spykesbbq.com
Find more articles like this in Eat & Drink