Dance the night away to live music in the Texas Hill Country
When it comes to music in the Texas Hill Country, live is better. And right here in the Highland Lakes, you have a plethora of choices when it comes to taking in some live music — whether it’s a local venue, a concert or even a concert series. Here are a few places and events worth checking out. You can go to 101HighlandLakes.com/Events or pick up the latest edition of The Picayune for upcoming shows.
• Albert Dance Hall — Located at 5435 S RR 1623 in Albert — just south of Stonewall — Albert Ice House & Dance Hall was built in 1922 and is now a popular local hangout for people looking for a good time with friends, and great music. Bands usually can be seen on stage Wednesday through Saturday. Go to alberttexas.com or call (830) 644-2042.
• Angel's Icehouse — Located at 21815 Texas 71 West in Spicewood. Angel's Icehouse is a place the whole family can enjoy — even your furry friends. Kids and leashed pooches can have fun in its outdoor play area, while you enjoy good food and listen to live music (Friday and Saturday nights except during the winter) on its outdoor stage. Go to angelsicehouse.com or call (512) 264-3777.
• Bill’s Burgers — Located at 307 Main St in Marble Falls. Gather ‘round at Bill’s Burgers, where artists play under the big tree is Old Oak Square. Call (830) 201-4481 or visit billsburgerswingsandthings.com for more information.
• Brass Hall — Located at 909 3rd St in Marble Falls. Brass Hall shows all types of music. While Brass Hall typically sticks to country music and brass ensembles, pop and hip-hop shows are occasionally thrown in the mix as well. Call (888) 503-8842 or visit brasshall.com.
• Cadillac Dance Hall — Located at 1375 FM 1855 in Marble Falls. "The Best Little Dance Hall in Texas," proclaims its website. It offers country music, dancing, food and fun the last Saturday of the month. The house band, The Not Guilties, plays new and old country, blues and rock. It's BYOB (cans only, beer lovers.) Go to cadillacdancehall.com or call (830) 385-4745.
• Doc's Fish Camp — Located at 900 RR 1431 West at U.S. 281 in Marble Falls. Doc's not only offers a full menu of tasty seafood but also live music Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. Go to docsfishcampandgrill.com and click on "Doc's Ice Chest" or call (830) 693-2245 for a music schedule.
• Fuel Coffee House — Located at 106 E. Main St. in Llano. This nonprofit coffee shop offers live local music weekly including the Lake Bottom Jazz Combo and several other local singer-songwriters. The venue also hosts Texas Songwriters in the Round when it’s in town. Go to fuelcoffeehouse.wordpress.com or call (325) 247-5272.
• Globe Theatre — Located at 132 W. Vaughan St. in Bertram. First opened in 1935 as a single-screen theater, the Globe found new life when Zach Hamilton and Lance Reiger bought and renovated it. They reopened it in February 2016 with a list of musical acts. The Globe Theatre feature a historic feel, but offers a great venue of live music and more. Go globetheatretx.com for more information.
• Llano Country Opry — Shows are monthly at the LanTex Theater, 113 Main St. in Llano. The venue features numerous touring acts as well as some of the best singers and songwriters country music has ever witnessed. Go to hillbillyhits.com or call (325) 597-1895 for a schedule and ticket information.
• Luckenbach — Located at 412 Luckenbach Town Loop in Fredericksburg. Luckenbach is a legendary country dancehall that has shows every night of the week. Music legends Willie Nelson, Pat Green and Ray Wylie Hubbard have performed at this legendary spot. Call (830) 997-3224 or (888) 311-8990 or visit luckenbachtexas.com for more information.
• Pardner's — Located at 15615 Texas 29 East in Buchanan Dam. Go two-steppin' on Pardner's wood floors — no spurs. The club offers happy hour and live bands on some nights. Call (512) 793-2432.
• Pecan Street Brewing — Located at 106 E Pecan Ave in Johnson City. Pecan Street Brewing is a family owned and operated brewpub. Every Sunday night starting at 6:00 p.m. they host a country music show! Call (830) 868-2500 or visit pecanstreetbrewing.com for more information.
• Poodie's Hilltop Roadhouse — Located at 22308 Texas 71 West in Spicewood. Poodie's Hilltop Roadhouse has hosted music legends Willie Nelson, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Asleep at the Wheel, Jerry Jeff Walker, Billy Joe Shaver and more. Randall "Poodie" Locke was Nelson's stage manager for 34 years until his death in 2009 and ran the famous Spicewood roadhouse. Enjoy live music, good food, beer and beautiful sunsets on its two-tiered deck. They offer live music every day of the week including the Songwriters Showcase every Monday. Go to poodies.net or call (512) 264-0318.
• Redbud Cafe — Located at 410 Fourth St. in Blanco. Redbud Cafe not only serves up burgers and sandwiches with local ingredients but live homegrown music as well on Friday and Saturday evenings. Go to redbud-cafe.com to see its music calendar or call (830) 833-0202.
• Reverend Jim's Dam Pub — Located at 19605 Texas 29 East in Buchanan Dam. Reverend Jim's offers live music and dancing on the outdoor patio with views of the dam. The pub also serves up cold beer and the best burgers outside of your mother's, according to one review on its website. Go to reverendjimsdampub.com or call (512) 793-3333.
• Trailblazer Grille — Located at 216 S. Main St. in Burnet. Come in for the incredible food and stay for the music, including local favorite John Arthur Martinez at 6 p.m. Tuesdays. The cafe and specialty food store also has a Saturday night concert series. Go to trailblazergrille.com for a schedule or call (512) 756-7636.
• Twin Sisters Dance Hall — Located at 6720 U.S. 281 South in Blanco. Opening in 1870, it claims to be the oldest dance hall in Texas. Listen and boot scoot to live music in a family-friendly atmosphere. Go to www.twinsistersdancehall.com or call (830) 833-5773.
• Uptown Art House — Located at 218 Main St. in Marble Falls. The owners of the Uptown Art House, Jim and Laurie Halfpenny, bring in musical acts each weekend, as well as classic movie screenings on most Sundays. Located in one of the iconic old theaters of Texas, you can learn which shows they have coming at theuptownarthouse.com or by calling (830) 613-5282.
Find more articles like this in Play