Enchanted Rock Star Fest During Meteor Shower
ENCHANTED ROCK — Enchanted Rock State Natural Area is staying open late for the second annual Enchanted Rock Star Festival. It’s just the opportunity you were looking for to catch the Perseid Meteor show in an International Dark Sky Association Dark Sky Park.
That means Enchanted Rock is really dark with little artificial light bleeding in to spoil the night skies.
The meteor showers are just part of the festival, which is 6-11 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 12, at the park, 16710 RR 965 between Llano and Fredericksburg. Admission to the park is $7 for ages 13 and older and free for ages 12 and younger.
There is no additional fee for the festival.
The event features several exhibits, discussions, and other activities. Exhibit booths, which will be open from 6 p.m. to dusk, include the Texas International Dark Sky Association, the International Dark Sky Association, the Hill Country Alliance, Big Bend State Park, the Hill Country Land Trust, and Texas Public Radio.
You can even purchase your Rock Star Festival T-shirt under the tent.
• 6 p.m. — “Moon Madness” with Katie Raney, regional interpretive specialist
• 6-6:35 p.m. — “The Great American Solar Eclipse of 2017” with Chris Keating of the Mason Astronomy Group
• 6:45-7:20 p.m. — “Dark Sky Photography of Texas State Parks with Rob Greebon Photography
• 7:30-8:20 p.m. — “Astrophotography and the Dark Sky Reserve” with Ken Kattner of Putnam Mountain Observatory
• 8:30-9:30 p.m. — “Better Light for Starry Nights” with Bill Wren, special assistant to superintendent of MacDonald Observatory
At 9:30 p.m., several programs will run concurrently.
• “Constellation Hunt” with Peter van Bavel of the Austin Astronomers Association
• “Star Party Telescope Viewing” with the Hill Country Astronomers
• “Constellation Tour” with Bill Wren and Ken Kattner
• “Night Hike on the Rock” with Scott Whitener, the Llano State Park superintendent
Participants can also purchase chances to win a Celestron Astro FI 90mm refractor telescope. The winner will be announced at 9:30 p.m.
And Marley’s Food Truck will be on hand throughout the festival serving food and beverages.
Go to friendsofenchantedrock.com for more information.
Find more articles like this in Picayune News