Browse 101 News for more articles like this.

Marble Falls Celebrates MayFest

A carnival opens the 2017 Marble Falls MayFest on Wednesday evening in Johnson Park. Courtesy photo

MARBLE FALLS — The Kiddie Bike Races should be a big kid draw during Marble Falls' MayFest, which is May 10-13. The first-ever event will have racers 16 and older trying to keep from toppling over as they tear up the track for prizes — training wheels are optional.

That's just one of the exciting activities during the annual Marble Falls/Lake LBJ Chamber of Commerce event, which also features a carnival all four days, free live music, volleyball and washer tournaments, games, and concessions at Johnson Park, 230 Ave. J South.

“We are inviting all of the Hill Country adults to bring a little kid bike,” said chamber special events coordinator Elizabeth Maynard about the Kiddie Bike Races. “We want customized bikes with crazy helmets and everyone to race them.”

The race is Saturday at 4 p.m. Registration begins at 3:30 p.m. near the boat dock.

Bikes must be no taller than 31 inches from handlebars to ground and 24 inches from seat to ground. Frames must be no bigger than 16 inches from seat to handlebars with two tires no larger than 18 inches. No motors allowed.

The cost to race is $10 a rider. Winners will receive carnival wristbands.

When asked about the course, Maynard grinned and politely declined to say more.

“We have to leave a little bit of a surprise for them,” she said, "but there'll be a lot of turns — that’s the funniest part.”

MayFest is open 5 p.m.-midnight Wednesday-Friday and 10 a.m.-midnight Saturday.

The carnival runs all four days starting at 5 p.m. Wednesday-Friday and noon Saturday. Wristbands for unlimited rides are $25 a day; individual ride tokens are $1 each.

A five-on-five beach volleyball tournament for ages 16 and older begins at 10 a.m. Saturday. The entry fee is $10 a player. Check-in for bracket play is 9:30 a.m. near the sand volleyball pit.

The first team to reach five points or leading after 10 minutes of play will be declared the winner of each match.

“This is new for 2017,” Maynard said. “We’re going to make it interesting because of the number of players on each team.”

Also on Saturday, the washer tournament begins at noon with signup at 11 a.m. in front of the volleyball court. The entry fee is $15 a player or $30 per team of two. First place takes 70 percent of the purse with second getting the remaining 30 percent.

Kid sack races for ages 4-12 start at 3 p.m. Saturday next to the wooden playground.

Tejano Night kicks off the musical portion of MayFest on Friday with Tejano DJ Sonido Scorpion from 6-9 p.m. followed by Cumbia band ¡Emocian! from 9:30 p.m.-midnight.

“They supply a lot of high energy and play a lot of fun music,” Maynard said of ¡Emocian! “They actually reached out to me in December.”

On Saturday, the music continues with rock band AintNeverBeens at 3 p.m., Marble Falls indie artist Jeremy Ryan Holloway at 6 p.m., and Texas country band Southern Underground at 9:30 p.m.

Southern Underground has played at local venues across the Highland Lakes, which makes the band a favorite.

“They’re all local. They’ve all played local festivals,” Maynard said.

Go to marblefalls.org/mayfestfor more information about MayFest.

jfierro@thepicayune.com

Find more articles like this in 101 News

Leave a reply

Top