Paint the Town captures Highland Lakes in full color
When the Paint the Town juried plein air competition in Marble Falls first started, many people didn’t even know what “plein air” meant, but as the event celebrates its 14th year on May 2-8, it is now a Highland Lakes highlight, attracting artists and art lovers.
Paint the Town, sponsored by Highland Lakes Creative Arts, is an outdoor painting competition during which about 30 selected artists spread out across Marble Falls and the surrounding area to paint the scenery. Plein air means painting outdoors and away from a studio.
The event is headquartered at Lakeside Pavilion, 307 Buena Vista Drive in Marble Falls. A gallery will be open 11 a.m.-5 p.m. May 6-7 and 10 a.m.-5 p.m. May 8. Visitors can browse and purchase artwork.
This year's Paint the Town judge is Mark Fehlman, a landscape artist from San Diego, California. He will also give a demonstration at 11:30 a.m. May 7 at the pavilion. It’s free and open to the public.
Artists begin arriving May 2 and will quickly spread out looking for places to set up their easels. Along with several days of artists' choice of locations, Highland Lakes Creative Arts has set up two specific spots on May 4: That Joint in Spicewood from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. and Latham’s Ranch from 4 p.m. to sunset.
Along with competitors, Paint the Town attracts art enthusiasts, who can watch the artists work and even get some pointers. Most of the artists are glad to share their stories.
Artists will paint throughout the week. Submission deadline is 11 a.m. May 7. Winners will be announced later that day during VIP Night from 5:30-9 p.m. at Lakeside Pavilion. Tickets are $60 and available online. Family Day is 10 a.m.-5 p.m. May 8 at the pavilion. Admission is free. Activities include finger painting, balloon painting, watercolors, pastels, and acrylics.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- May 2 — Artists begin arriving at 4 p.m.
- May 3 — Free paint day
- May 4 — Artists paint at The Joint in Spicewood from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. and Latham’s Ranch from 4 p.m. to sunset
- May 5 — Free paint day/night
- May 6 — Gallery open at Lakeside Pavilion from 11 a.m.-5 p.m.; student art day at pavilion for local high school students May 7 — Gallery open at Lakeside Pavilion from 11 a.m.-5 p.m.; Mark Fehlman demonstration at 11:30 a.m.; VIP Night from 5:30-9 p.m. at Lakeside Pavilion
- May 8 — Family Day from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. at Lakeside Pavilion; Quick Draw contest at 10 a.m.
For more information on Paint the Town, visit the Highland Lakes Creative Arts website.
Find more articles like this in 101 News