Cool off with this roasted strawberry ice cream recipe
This strawberry ice cream recipe is pretty basic for anyone with a mixer or an ice cream maker, but it comes with one extra-special twist: roasted strawberries.
Follow the recipe below, but with roasted fruit, to bolster the flavor and color of your ice cream while also removing pesky ice crystals that can come from overblending.
- 1 pound strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- Wash, hull, and half the strawberries.
- Place them on a tray (we used parchment paper) and sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Roast on low heat (250 degrees) for an hour, tossing halfway through.
- Place in food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour blended strawberries into large bowl with sugar. Stir until combined and let sit so sugar can dissolve.
- Add vanilla, heavy cream, and milk then stir by hand until combined.
- Pour into ice cream maker (make sure the bowl has been in the freezer long enough!) and churn for 20 minutes (check instructions on your maker).
Once that’s done, you have ice cream that resembles soft serve. Serve in bowls and enjoy or pour it into another container and freeze it for a firmer texture.
Find more articles like this in Eat & Drink