Gift ideas and events for every type of Mom
You might feel under pressure to find just the right gift for Mom, but it’s actually easier than you think, especially with help from this Mother’s Day Shopping Guide.
All moms are different. While some are into fashion and have a love of all things coffee, others are outdoorsy or like to dig in the garden. A Mother’s Day present does not need to cost a lot; in fact, many fantastic gifts can be inexpensive or even free. The perfect gift might not be a gift at all but an activity.
A simple guideline for Mother’s Day gifting is to keep it from the heart.
Here are a few ideas for several types of moms:
- Texas State Parks Pass, which gives you free entry to state parks for a year
- Sunglasses with ultraviolet protection
- Lightweight long-sleeve shirt with ultraviolet protection
- Water bottle with filter
- Gift basket: sunscreen, bug spray, compass, whistle, chapstick in a drawstring backpack
- Activity: Pack a picnic and take Mom for an afternoon at a park. Go hiking, kayaking, exploring. Check out the 101 Outdoors Guide for ideas.
- Herb garden
- Fun salt/pepper shakers
- Gift basket: colorful utensils, a cute reusable shopping bag, and bottle(s) of special oils/vinegars arranged in a bright, cheery container
- Activity: Cook with Mom. Find out what her favorite meal is and you do the shopping. Then, prepare and enjoy the meal together.
- Trendy sunglasses
- Mother’s jewelry (with child/children’s birthstones, birthdates, names)
- Locket with photo
- Charm bracelet with charms symbolizing special events in her life
- Gift basket: fun shades of lipstick and/or nail polish, purse-sized perfume, and a current fashion magazine arranged in a makeup travel bag/case.
- Activity: family face mask time with manis/pedis
Check out the 101 Shopping Guide for more ideas.
- Gardening gloves
- Kneeler pad
- Sun hat
- Gift basket: hand cream, sunscreen, bug spray, packet of flower seeds tucked in a pretty pot
- Activity: Assemble a succulent — or herb — container garden with Mom.
Find expert advice in the 101 Lawn & Garden Guide.
- A bag — or pods — of her favorite coffee
- Personalize a mug or add a vinyl sticker to a stainless travel cup.
- Gift basket: flavorings to add into coffee, individually wrapped biscotti, and gift card from her favorite coffee shop tucked into a large coffee mug
- Activity: Treat Mom to a morning or afternoon coffee at her favorite (or a new!) shop and learn something about her you didn’t previously know. Maybe make question cards ahead of time and take turns asking and answering.
Here’s a list of Highland Lakes coffee (and tea) shops.
- Movie gift basket: favorite movie, movie theater candies, popcorn, movie passes/gift card
- Candy bouquet: favorite candies attached to ends of sticks arranged in a vase or pot
- Flavor or color gift basket: Pick up small items in Mom’s favorite color or flavor and arrange them in a basket.
FREE OR INEXPENSIVE IDEAS
- Make a handwritten book.List 5 things each person loves/appreciates about Mom along with a short paragraph of a favorite memory or fun time each has had with her.
- Pick a wildflower bouquet to put in a vase.
- Make fingerprint/handprint artwork.
- Take fun photos of the kids to frame. Silly poses, spell out M-O-M, etc.
MOTHER’S DAY EVENTS IN THE HIGHLAND LAKES
- “Steel Magnolias” at The Globe Theatre in Bertram (May 11)
- Mother’s Day Flyer to Burnet from Cedar Park (May 11)
- Mother’s Day Flyer Brunch to Bertram from Cedar Park (May 12)
- Mother’s Day Brunch at Flat Creek Vineyards in Marble Falls (May 12)
- Mother’s Day Vanishing Texas River Cruise on Lake Buchanan (May 12)
- Mother’s Day at Spicewood Vineyards with live music by Bonnie Whitmore, Painting with a Twist class on “Happy Hydrangeas,” and mini-photo sessions (May 12)
LOCALLY PRODUCED GIFTS
- Ahh, smells like home. Circle E Candles and Orleans Home Fragrances are scent-sational!
- Beautiful cookies taste good, too. These local bakers offer cookies that are almost too pretty to eat: Sugar Mama Cookies in Marble Falls and Sarah’s Cookie Jar in Kingsland.
- Who can say no to chocolate? Freshly and beautifully crafted chocolates and toffee are offered at Choccolatte’s in downtown Marble Falls.
- Get perking. The Highland Lakes is full of fun coffee shops, just pick one! Numinous Coffee Roasters, Mojo Coffee in Marble Falls, Mojo Coffee in Burnet, Unshakable Grounds in Burnet, Lazy Heron Coffee House in Kingsland.
Find more articles like this in Shop