Gift ideas and events for every type of Mom
You might feel under pressure to find just the right gift for Mom, but it’s actually easier than you think, especially with help from this Mother’s Day Shopping Guide.
All moms are different. While some are into fashion and have a love of all things coffee, others are outdoorsy or like to dig in the garden. A Mother’s Day present does not need to cost a lot; in fact, many fantastic gifts can be inexpensive or even free. The perfect gift might not be a gift at all but an activity.
A simple guideline for Mother’s Day gifting is to keep it from the heart.
Here are a few ideas for several types of moms:
- Texas State Parks Pass, which gives you free entry to state parks for a year
- Sunglasses with ultraviolet protection
- Lightweight long-sleeve shirt with ultraviolet protection
- Reusable water bottle with filter
- Gift basket: Tuck some outdoor essentials like sunscreen, bug spray, compass, whistle, or chapstick in a drawstring backpack.
- Activity: Pack a picnic and take Mom for an afternoon at a park. Go for a walk, hike, or just explore. Check out the 101 Outdoors Guide for ideas.
- Put together a small container herb garden
- Fun salt/pepper shakers
- Gift basket: Colorful utensils, a cute reusable shopping bag, and bottle(s) of special oils/vinegars arranged in a bright, cheery container.
- Activity: Cook with Mom. Find out what her favorite meal is and you do the shopping. Then, prepare and enjoy the meal together.
- Trendy sunglasses
- Mother’s jewelry (with child/children’s birthstones, birthdates, names)
- Locket with photo
- Charm bracelet with charms symbolizing special events in her life.
- Gift basket: Fun shades of lipstick and/or nail polish, purse-sized perfume, and her favorite magazine arranged in a makeup travel bag/case.
- Activity: Family face mask time with manis/pedis.
Check out the 101 Shopping Guide for more ideas.
- Cute garden gloves
- Watering can
- Yard art
- Bird bath
- Gift basket: Hand cream, sunscreen, bug spray, packet of flower seeds tucked in a pretty pot.
- Activity: Assemble a succulent container garden or create a fairy garden with Mom.
Find expert advice in the 101 Lawn & Garden Guide.
- A bag — or pods — of her favorite coffee.
- Personalize a mug or add a vinyl sticker to a stainless travel cup.
- Gift basket: Flavorings to add into coffee, individually wrapped biscotti, and gift card from her favorite coffee shop tucked into a large coffee mug.
- Activity: Treat Mom to a morning or afternoon coffee at her favorite (or a new!) shop and learn something about her you didn’t previously know. Maybe make question cards ahead of time and take turns asking and answering.
Here’s a list of Highland Lakes coffee (and tea) shops.
- Movie gift basket: Pop her favorite movie, movie theater candies, and movie passes/gift card into a tub of microwavable popcorn.
- Candy bouquet: Pick her favorite candies attached to ends of sticks arranged in a vase or pot. Check out Ms Lollipop in Marble Falls for candy inspiration.
- Flavor or color gift basket: Look for items in Mom’s favorite color or flavor and arrange them in this fun, themed basket.
FREE OR INEXPENSIVE IDEAS
- Make a handwritten book.List 5 things each person loves/appreciates about Mom along with a short paragraph of a favorite memory or fun time each has had with her.
- Pick a wildflower bouquet to put in a vase or jar.
- Make fingerprint/handprint artwork.
- Take fun photos of the kids to frame. Silly poses, spell out M-O-M, recreate poses from old photos, etc.
MOTHER’S DAY-THEMED EVENT
10 a.m.-5 p.m. May 12 — St. Frederick's Baptist Church, 301 Avenue N in Marble Falls, hosts a Mother's Day barbecue and bazaar to benefit the future African American History Museum on church grounds. Shop for bluebonnet quilts and gift baskets and enjoy barbecue ribs.
LOCALLY PRODUCED GIFTS
- Ahh, smells like home. Circle E Candles and Orleans Home Fragrances are scent-sational and made in the Hill Country!
- Cookies or cupcakes for the sweetest mom. Order cookies or cupcakes that taste as good as they look from JoJo's Bakery in Marble Falls.
- Who can say no to chocolate? Freshly and beautifully crafted chocolates, toffee, and fudge are offered at Choccolatte’s in downtown Marble Falls.
- Get perking. The Highland Lakes is full of fun coffee shops with local flavor, just pick one!
Find more articles like this in Shop
Leave a reply